Thursday, October 6, 2011

Interpritation

I have been giving a lot of thought to interpretation.

Almost everyone does not interpret things the exact same way. Just like the golfer had to question the invitation from his friend.

While in class last week, during a discussion about social networking, the instructor asked me how much time I spend on Facebook. My answer was, "About 4 in the morning and 4 in the evening". My classmates automatically assumed that I wake up at four in the morning to get on Facebook. I had to make myself clear that I meant 4 hours in the morning and 4 hours in the evening.

I went to church on Sunday, and low and behold, the sermon was on translation and interpretation. Oh, I was all ears during the sermon. (and how did you just interpret that last sentence?). Did you picture me covered in a bunch of ears?

Here's a good one.....

How do you interpret the letter language that is so commonly used today? WTF, LOL, OMG, LMAO, BBL, TTFN (that was created by Tigger), TTYL, BRB, and probably many more..... It took me forever to figure out what LOL stands for. Lots of love? Lots of lust? Lots of losers? Hummmm...What does it really mean? According to society, it means laugh out loud.
Do you place your own words with the letters, or do you go by the way others use them? The way others insist on using them? The way others SAY to use them?
And here's a thought to ponder....did you know that LOL and OMG are listed in the Merrium-Webster dictionary? They sure are....go look them up. I used the new online version.
So, why is it that when someone writes, texts, or verbally uses WTF it is always assumed to mean the "F" word? There are many words that can be put in place of that "F" - frick, frack, frig, frog, frank, etc....
OMG can be personally and independently interpreted the same way - "G" - gosh, golly, glory, goodness, gracious, etc...
How do you use and interpret the letter language?

I have been attending school since 2009, I find it very important to research and back my opinions and thoughts with facts. I am not going to write publicly and just spew a bunch of garbage out there. I am going to write what I feel, believe, and trust would be good inspirational messages, backed by facts.

Another good one.....

One of the biggest misinterpretations is scripture.

God's Word says: "....all scripture is given of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for REPROOF, for CORRECTION, for instruction...." II Timothy 3:16

Human nature does not like reproof or correction. No one likes being told that they are wrong. Some people spend most of their lives saying "They just don't get it. No matter how hard I try, they just don't get it...." That's because every single human being has their own thought process.

Having things go right, go well for ourselves in living is a good thing. It's usually what everyone wants. But, being naturally "carnal minded" (which is naturally rebellious to God - Romans 8:7)....Every single living breathing human has their own idea as to how to achieve it. No one likes to be told what to do or how to think....

School books are not misinterpreted. Why? When a school book is read it is taken at face value. We believe that what we are reading (to learn) is the truth. School books go from point A to point B very clearly. Where the Bible is choppy and sometimes says the same thing throughout but using different wording.

Misinterpretation of the Bible is mostly the reason for hundreds of denominations in Christianity. Professing all sorts of "beliefs". People usually believe what they are taught by someone else. More than likely parents, and their parents, and their parents, and so on....
I believe that unless a person has lived in Jesus' time, they do not know the truth. They can't possibly know the truth.
I interpret things the way I believe is right for me, and everyone else should do the same. Leaders, Ministers, and Counselors are amazing. But do they really know "the everything" about Jesus?
When I read scripture, I take in (inhale) what it means to me. How it makes my heart feel. That is how I live, that is how I believe, and that is how I direct my life. Interpretation is to each his/her own.....
No one should be forceful with their own beliefs. What they think is the truth.
God owns my glory, He owns my thoughts, He owns my writing, and He owns my interpretation. No one else does. I know what I need to give back, and I am satisfied with where I'm going and how I'm living my life.

People sometimes read a passage and think they know from it what the Bible says about whatever subject the passage spoke of. But, other passages elsewhere in the Bible speak of it too.....and they add information and insight and clarity to the subject that just one passage doesn't provide. That is where misinterpretation comes from. It can fool people and make them think they know what the Bible says when really, they don't.

If I write something that offends you, by all means, stop reading (you could also contact me too, LOL!!), (there's that letter language).
I have my own faith, and God is my owner.
I also frequently ask myself; "What kind of steward am I"? I, myself, me....will be held accountable for my thoughts, actions, and beliefs. I am using what God is allowing me to use.

Hugs for Always,

Angie


2 comments:

  1. Angie, this is a great post. I am Catholic and one of the reason I like the Catholic faith is that it is ONE church. Throughout the world, you can go to any Catholic Church and get the same interpretation of the bible. The same Mass is said in all Catholic Churches on any given Sunday, around the world. I believe in succession of Popes as given to our Peter and passed down from Jesus.

    However....lately, I have gone through some things in my life have caused me to question certain things and as you say, interpretations. I have been making my own interpretations based on the choices I'm making in my life. I don't know if this is good or bad. I think we follow a church to AVOID making our own interpretations. If everyone makes their own interpretations, then we have no cohesiveness.

    So there's that. I don't know the answer. Right now I'm on a faith journey. I think we are all on a journey and at certain times in our lives, we feel more sure than other times. What I do know is there is a God and he loves me and wants me to be happy and do the right thing. Now how we as people interpret that from the Bible, can be very different!

    Excellent post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Michael Ann!
    You mentioned "a faith" journey....I started my faith journey when I completed a religion class in school. Man, take a religion class just one time.... guaranteed to cause a person to question their faith, but I am one that believes you can be just as close to God in your back yard as you can be in a church.I need my church for strength more than anything. My beliefs are true to myself and they don't have to be used to sway others....
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete