Monday, October 17, 2011

Road Rage

I have got some serious road rage going on here lately.

I drive 17 miles, the same route, at least 4 times a week, sometimes 5 times depending on my school schedule.

If there is no road sign or markings on the road that says you can pull up on my right side to make a right hand turn, then why are you there? You are blocking my view of traffic where I need to see to cross the road. So, since you are in a hurry, and I just might be in a hurry too....I have to sit and wait for you to move so my view of traffic is clear. UGH!!! Sometimes I just want to get out of my car and yell, scream, stomp around, and punch these people that think they own the road.

Last week I was sitting at a stop sign waiting to cross traffic. A huge 4-wheel drive truck pulled up on my right side to make a right hand turn (no markings or sign saying that he can do that, or be there). He was in such a hurry that he didn't even stop, he just followed on through with his bossy, ignorant way of driving. Since he was in such a hurry he pulled out in front of an on-coming car. He almost caused an accident. While all this time I am still sitting at the stop sign waiting to cross the road. And I can't see a thing with huge monster vehicles getting in my way.....So, this means my timed road trip is not as important as the, so they think, owners of the road. I will just sit and wait for ignorance to clear out of my way.

To solve this problem I have given thought to hugging the median on the right side of the road when I come to a stop sign. Do you think others will experience road rage if I do that? If I get in the way of their hurriedness (is that a word?)?

But when I sit and think about this road rage feeling, I ask myself, "why" am I getting so angry? Because when I stop and think about the whole situation, when I have to sit at the stop sign and wait for these people (crazy drivers) to get out of my way, I have plenty of time to say a prayer for these people.

"Dear Lord, please watch over these people on the road that are in a hurry. Keep them safe today, and please don't let them make any more people mad."

I'd say I am using my time wisely and sustaining my anger.

Anger is an ugly thing. If you let it, it will control your life like a hungry beast stalking its prey. But what is anger really? I think anger is a form of sadness, a form that wants to come alive and take over your thoughts, body, and way of living. It wants to make you miserable. It wants to win. It wants all the glory. It wants to feed on you.

Could anger really be the desperate need to reach out for love?

Okay, my road rage is a form, a feeling, a thought process that has to be dealt with. Since I know I am loved, I don't really let this road rage anger eat me up. I take a moment to really feel and discern the feelings of anger. That is why I say a prayer while I'm sitting at the stop sign, and deep breathing while chanting "gooosseeeee-frabbba" seems to work too.

To fully understand your anger feelings, ask yourself some questions:

What is it that you are really mad about?

Is it worth the effort to feed that beast?

What is making you sad today?

Now that you know the answers. How do you change your feelings? Look at your anger as a request, or desire for love. If you request love, you can give love. It's kind of like the domino affect. How you react to something is going to affect the outcome of your entire day. If you start the day angry, you will end the day angry. If you start the day with love, you end the day with love. Pretty simple solution, huh? And it does work, believe me. I would be angry every day if I held a grudge against those crazy drivers. But I see their actions and their call for love, a call for attention. So I say a prayer for them and send them on their way. I complete my day with love....

Love your wrath....use it for energy to positively change your day. To ensure a good domino affect for the ending of the day. Turn your anger into love.

If you're angry today, you can vent here. Tell me what is making you angry and how you correct, or diminish that feeling.

Hugs for Always,

Angie




No comments:

Post a Comment