Monday, October 31, 2011

Leadership

It's a rainy day Monday, and I have two papers to write before class on Wednesday. It is quiet in the house with just the sound of rain lightly hitting the roof, and oh yeah, the dreadful sound of the washing machine. Monday's are always laundry day. And I am going to take the time to bore you with my leadership research.....HA! Lucky you!

I have a portfolio project to complete for my leadership class, and I thought it would be helpful if I get some of my thoughts down on paper the computer screen to help me along. My portfolio consists of a view of one book by a leader or about a leader (due 4 pages), a review of at least one article dealing with leadership (due 4 pages), a short discussion of a leadership story (due 2 pages), (and I already know who I'm going to include in this one. He doesn't know it yet, but my minister is going to help me with this one. He has an awesome leadership story.), a discussion of one or two metaphors which guide, enhance, or illuminate my thinking on leaders, their missions, and their relations to their followers (due 2 pages). Looks like I have my hands full, huh?



What is the true definition of leadership? Leadership is a process whereby an individual influences a group of individuals to achieve a common goal.

One of my all time favorite leaders is Martin Luther King Jr. He definitely had an impact and strong influence on our American history, and leading us to where we are today. What a strong man he was, and he carried the four factors of leadership proudly and strongly:

Leader - A person that has a strong understanding of who they are, what they know, and what they can do. A true leader, to be successful, has to convince their followers, not themselves, that they are worthy of being followed.

Followers - Different people, or groups require different styles of leadership. A good strong leader will know their followers. They will know their human nature, such as needs, emotions, and motivation.

Communication - A dedicated leader will never communicate, or ask their audience to perform anything that he/she would not be willing to do themselves.

Situation - A leader will know the difference between one situation to another. There will never be two situations that require the same approach.

Martin Luther King Jr. surly matched the process of great leadership. He challenged the process for the civil rights of his race. He inspired a shared vision, "I have a dream". He also enabled others to act by giving his followers the tools and methods to solve a problem (civil rights movement). He modeled the way by getting his own hands dirty and showing his followers what can be done. And last but not least, he encouraged the heart by sharing the glory with his followers, while keeping the pains within his own heart.

And did he do this all for himself? Heavens no! He did all this for his people, his followers, his audience. He gave his life for his beliefs and inspiration. But he was also rewarded for being such a great leader. He was awarded five honorary degrees; was named man of the year in 1963; and became not only the symbolic leader of American blacks, but also a world figure. He was the youngest man to have received the Nobel Peace Prize, and what did he do with the winnings? He handed over $54,123 to the furtherance of the civil rights movement. In 1968 all this greatness came to an end....He was assassinated while standing on the balcony of his Tennessee hotel room. Which leads to another situation for great leaders to hold in their hearts, they have to face the fact that some people may feel threatened, envious, jealous, and hatred for what a great leader is trying to accomplish. It is sad that some people are affected that way.....

A person does not become a leader overnight, or as the saying goes, "He/she was born a leader". Just so you know, that saying is rubbish, not true, garbage, and can be wiped from any book that it appears in. It takes hard work to become a dependable, trustworthy, and courageous leader.

I have dipped my hands into writing because all the thoughts in my head are just piling up, and piling up, and piling up.....

I take notes (carry around a notebook everywhere I go) to relieve the build-up in my brain. During church service on Sunday the sermon was about leadership. HA!! Go figure! Something that I need information on to complete my portfolio for school. I whipped out my trusty note taking pencil and thought catching notebook, and I started writing.....

What did my thoughts snag catch Sunday morning?

I am just going to transfer everything from my notebook to this piece of paper computer screen. That way you will get a good view of my thought process and how my brain actually works.

Leadership doesn't mean anything unless the leader puts forth love and caring for everyone. If a leader leads for show or money, their skills don't mean anything. Some leaders want to compete (the American way, right?), and that brings forth an image problem where the leader feels and acts superior. Our society has taught us how to compete (it only matters if you win, it doesn't matter if you step on people to get there, and greed).

And oh how we judge people.....is that habit, ignorance, what we've been taught, or is it just a way of our American selfish behavior?

A person that judges others spends so much time worrying about what others are doing, that they don't notice the ignorance they are creating for themselves. People control the way they act, we control what we do and say, and there is a heart within every person that we are quick to judge.

Are you a servant or a selfish know-it-all that can only see what is best for yourself? To be a strong servant (leader), you serve yourself appropriately and others faithfully. Serve, don't judge!

A true leader serves with a whole warm heart!

Hugs for Always,

Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment