Monday, October 3, 2011

Strangers

Do you take the same route to work, school, appointments everyday?

Every time I drive to school I take the same route. I pass by these huge pots of flowers at least four times a week. Their beauty seizes me every time they come into my vision.

They are gorgeous. Definitely God's beauty captured.

And when the sun shines on them, they just take your breath away.....they look like great big pots of fire.

Every time I drive past this beauty I talk to myself.....Of course, I'm alone in the car so I can do that.

"I would really love to capture this gorgeous scene. I really want it to stand still. And I really want to share this serenity with others."

"Do I sneak a picture? Or do I go to the door and ask permission?"

Well, the right thing to do is ask for permission. So on my way home from school I stopped at a stranger's house to see if I could photograph the beauty that they created.

Very, very, very.... nice people. The man walked me to the flowers and told me all about them. He was actually proud that I had an interest in his flowers. I could definitely tell that this man was a people person, a loving person, a sharing person, a caring person.....

He removed the flower tag from the pot and handed it to me. These are Salvia, AKA: 'Bonfire'.
They grow 26" high.
Then in a proud voice he said, "They grew a lot higher than what the tag says."
I think, God knowing this man's love of nature, helped these flowers describe their owner. Beautiful!

You will see this man every winter sitting in a chair near the road dressed as Santa.....He waves at the kids as they go by. Now how much more dedicated love can you ask for?


In the Fall this house always has an ample supply of fall squash and pumpkins.

As I was leaving, he grabbed two butternut squash and placed them in my car.
Does this mean we are not strangers anymore?
Have I found a caring friend?
The butternut squash will be turned into pie and one will be delivered to my new found friends. My new found love supply.....The fuel that is going to get me through each school day just from driving past this love house.

"LOVE" is a word that is sadly misunderstood. I like the definition that Jesus gives in the Bible, "Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has not one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends."
Where does Christian love shine the most?
I believe that Christian love finds its most eminent expression in one's ability to love total strangers. Think about it....mission work....even though we harvest very few benefits from it. What benefit did this total stranger receive from me taking pictures of his flowers? No benefits....just bragging rights.

We shared Christian love.

This man represents Christian love through his display of beautiful flowers, appearing as Santa, and his giving of his harvest. This man is the true definition of "LOVE".
A total stranger that I can truly say I love. He is definitely doing God's work. Are you seeing his future benefit? He will be praised for what he is doing. He is definitely shining with eternal life.

"He was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and faith, and a great number of people were brought to the Lord."
Acts 11:24

Hugs for Always,

Angie



1 comment:

  1. Angie, I loved this post! I loved the bird, and I loved that you stopped by the house to take those photos, and met the man who lives there. That is something I would do so we are kindred spirits :-) I could totally imagine our conversation with him and I could feel the pride in his voice as he told you about his flowers and his home. I love that he gave you some squash!! THAT is wonderful example of how we should treat people--your example and his too. It just warmed my heart! I'm so glad you shared this today.

    ReplyDelete