Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Born Again


Okay fingers....here we go again. You are going to be my link from my mind, to the key pad, and onto this computer screen.
I really need to pen my thoughts today because my mind is racing in so many different directions. I need to get all these thoughts into order. Some of you may not like what I'm penning about today, but you can always close this tab and go about your regular daily lives.
I usually attend church on Sundays, just for my own cleansing, and it usually helps me get through the six days ahead. But the sermon on Sunday really made me question my spirituality.
Am I a true believer of God, Jesus, the Christ? Or am I more in tune with the Universe?
That is the question that is causing ruckus in my mind.
As I was doing research on "Born Again" I came across the word Pantheism. Pantheism is a religion old or new, that stresses the magnificence of the universe as revealed by modern science. Pantheism might be able to draw forth reserves of reverence and awe hardly tapped by the conventional faiths. And a quote from Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot (1994), "Such a religion WILL emerge."
And then as I continued reading, the question, "Are you a Pantheist?" emerged. Of course I had to keep on reading after that question was thrown in my face.

If you answer yes to all these questions, then you might have pantheistic leanings.....

When you look at the night sky or at the images of the Hubble Space Telescope, are you filled with a feeling of awe and wonder at the overwhelming beauty and power of the universe?    Yes


When you are in the midst of nature, in a forest, by the sea, on a mountain peak - do you ever feel a sense of the sacred, like the feeling of being in a vast cathedral?    Yes

Do you believe that humans should be a part of Nature, rather than set above it?    Yes


I am not skeptical of God, I do know that, because there had to be a creator. Correct?


Every evening I step outside when it's just turning dark enough to show the stars and the moon. I feel such an overwhelming peace and my discussions feel so much more fulfilled then during the day. The nighttime universe feels like a temple to me. My spirituality is more free.

So, what does it mean to be BORN AGAIN?

The context of the question comes from the following verses in the gospel of John:

"There was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews. This man came to Jesus by night and said to Him, 'Rabbi, we know that You are a teacher come from God; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him.'


Jesus answered and said to him, 'Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is BORN AGAIN, he cannot see the kingdom of God.'


Nicodemus said to Him, 'How can a man be born when his old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?'


Jesus answered, 'Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.


Do not marvel that I said to you, 'YOU MUST BE BORN AGAIN.' The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of Spirit.'" (John 3:1-8, NKJV)

See, this is what is so confusing. Jesus speaks of the Universe as far as being born of the water and the Spirit. He also talks about the wind. You can't see the wind, but you can feel it. That is your spirituality. But the spirit and the words BORN AGAIN can mean so many things. There have been so many times in my life where I have felt BORN AGAIN, but not in a religious form. However, in a spiritual form, my own personal feelings of my heart being cleansed. To me being born again can mean change, any change. For example, my current relationship. In the beginning of my relationship I felt like I had a long row to hoe, but things came together in a way that is un-explainable. In this relationship I feel new, I feel with a new heart, I am more loving (and so is he), more caring, and more gentle. This relationship has caused me to forget about my terrible past, and only focus on what is ahead of me, or right in front of my face. The relationship has touched my spirit, my heart, and my emotions.
Another form of being BORN AGAIN in my life is the opportunity of being able to attend college. A change, a new beginning, and creating the path to make things better. This opportunity has touched my spirit, my heart, and my emotions.

The words TO BE BORN AGAIN are very strong, and people interpret those words in different ways. My interpretation of those words, they simply mean to cleanse yourself, cleanse your inner self. To be born again does not mean to reenter your mother's womb. That would be silly. The inner cleanse is to free yourself of troubles, start over, produce a brand new heart. That is what BORN AGAIN means to me.
And if I feel born again by standing in the Universe, breathing, having discussions about direction, listening to the wind, and cleansing my heart, then so be it.

In John 3 there are three births discussed:

1. Born of the flesh (my mother)
2. Born of water (baptized)
3. Born of spirit (MY spirit, MY cleansing, MY imagined wanderlust, MY life direction)


When you are standing in nature (the universe) and come across a gorgeous scene such as this, how do you feel? How does the beauty touch your heart? Is it breathtaking? Do you feel like you are right in the presence of God, the creator himself? Directly in the center of the Universe?
This is my temple, this is my peace, this is my spirit, this is how I cleanse myself, this is how I'm BORN AGAIN.

Thank you for taking the time to read my penning thoughts. And please feel free to comment. Everyone has their own opinion, and those opinions are what make our universe so appealing, so unique, and so inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment